1 (New Testament) supposed brother of St James; one of the Apostles who is invoked in prayer when a situation seems hopeless [syn: Jude, Saint Jude, St. Jude, Thaddaeus]
2 (New Testament) the Apostle who betrayed Jesus to his enemies for 30 pieces of silver [syn: Judas Iscariot]
3 someone who betrays under the guise of friendship
4 a one-way peephole in a door
EtymologyFrom < יהודה
- Rhymes: -uːdəs
- A traitor, a person not to be trusted.
- A male given name.
Judas (Greek: Ιούδας) is the anglicized Greek rendering of the Hebrew name Yehudah (Hebrew: יְהוּדָה), also rendered in English as Judah. Judas may refer to:
- A name in the New Testament referring to one or more
significant individuals, some of whom may be the same:
- Judas Iscariot, the disciple of Jesus Christ who betrayed him
- Judas Thomas Didymus, commonly referred to as Saint Thomas and Doubting Thomas
- Judas Thaddaeus, son of James, one of the twelve apostles
- Saint Jude, a brother, step-brother, or half-brother, to Jesus
- Judas the Zealot, whose identity is not completely clear, probably either of:
- Judas Barsabbas, an emissary of the Church of Jerusalem to the Church at Antioch.
- the Gospel of Judas, a recently discovered ancient Gnostic Gospel
- Judah (Biblical figure), a son of the patriarch Jacob and ancestor of the royal line of biblical Israel
- Judas Maccabeus, Jewish revolt leader
- Judas of Galilee, also Judas of Gamala, Jewish revolt leader
- Judas Cyriacus, man said to have assisted Helena of Constantinople find the True Cross
- Judah P. Benjamin - American Jewish politician, holder of Cabinet posts in the Confederate States of America
- A derogatory term for a traitor.
- Judas (ballad), an early English ballad
- Judas Iscariot (band)
- Judas Priest, a heavy metal band
- Judas (song), a song by the band Helloween
- Judas, a song by Depeche Mode
- Judas, a song by rapper Ja Rule from upcoming 2008 album, The Mirror.
- Judas, a song by Kelly Clarkson
- Judas, a song by The Charlatans
- Judas at the Opera, a song by Edguy
- Judas Be My Guide, a song by the band Iron Maiden
- "Judas," a nickname given to Bob Dylan in reference to his supposed "sell out" by using electric instruments.
- Judas!— a fanzine devoted to the work of Bob Dylan, edited by Andrew Muir, published in U.K. 2002 - 2006
- The Gospel of Judas A band from White Pigeon MI www.myspace.com/tgoj666
- Judas goat, a goat trained to lead livestock to a slaughterhouse.
- Judas (manga) a manga by Suu Minazuki
- A character in Tales of Destiny 2, who betrayed the team in the previous game
- The true name of 'Lucius Villia Annalius', the antagonist in the Bootstrap Comics title Dr. Aeturnalis: Protector of Man
- Judas Mesias, a ringname of Ricky Bendera (born Gilbert Cosme) and professional wrestler currently working for the Total Non-Stop Action wrestling.
Judas in Danish: Judas
Judas in German: Judas
Judas in Esperanto: Judaso
Judas in French: Judas
Judas in Italian: Giuda
Judas in Hebrew: יהודה
Judas in Dutch: Judas
Judas in Norwegian: Judas (andre betydninger)
Judas in Japanese: ユダ
Judas in Polish: Judasz
Judas in Portuguese: Judas (desambiguação)
Judas in Russian: Иуда
Judas in Slovak: Judáš
Judas in Finnish: Juudas
Benedict Arnold, Brutus, Judas Iscariot, Quisling, archtraitor, betrayer, cockatrice, conniver, conspirator, conspirer, convict, criminal, crook, deceiver, desperado, desperate criminal, double agent, double-crosser, double-dealer, felon, fugitive, gallows bird, gangster, gaolbird, informer, intrigant, intriguer, jailbird, lawbreaker, machinator, mobster, outlaw, plotter, public enemy, quisling, racketeer, rat, schemer, scofflaw, serpent, snake, swindler, thief, thug, timeserver, traitor, treasonist, trimmer, turncoat, two-timer